Sunday, June 03, 2007

Windy Summer Nights

I'm just about to turn in for the night, and the wind comes up. Chimes are swinging, branches are swaying, and flagpole lanyards flapping. When the house starts whistling, I have to step outside to take a reading. It's hitting 15 mph from the SW, which after the recent windless weekends, is enough to draw me out into the 65° hazy yellow moonlit night. I really can't complain about the lack of wind, though. I caught the last 45 minutes before sunset today up at the Point. I could hear the hoots coming from Carlos, Guillermo and a third kiter as they ripped around, so I rigged the 7.2 and headed west towards the setting sun. It was 50/50 planing (as Michael also reported from Mecox), but the gusts were fun for a couple near-planing jibes. I completed my first duck jibe (on first attempt, unoit). But better than that, the Peconic waters have become wetsuit-optional. After the bite of cold water sailing earlier this year, the bay today was practically caressing when falling in. OK, I'm waxing poetic - it must be Summer.

3 comments:

PeconicPuffin said...

Congratulations on the duck jibe! Is there anything smoother in windsurfing? I think not. Here's to many more...perhaps a few today!

PeconicPuffin said...

How do we feel about David Morris as a forecaster?

"• Also watch for localized gusts, lulls, surges and shifts around any heavy showers or thunderstorms that may fire up.

• A more solid strengthening through late afternoon with gusts and surges to low twenties"

Jeff, aka Peconic Jeff said...

Well, it's late afternoon, and I haven't seen low 20s yet. They appear to be still be offshore and will probably arrive with the rain.

Tomorrow on the other hand is looking great. We could have 4.2 to 5.2 conditions depending where the low tracks, with wind moving from E to SE. Is that the right formula for jibe city at Mecox? NWS also has a surf advisory for 10-14 ft waves, and dangerous rip currents, so ocean may be a no go...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...